Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.
– Edward Stanley
The Medical Dictionary, Free Dictionary talks about Physical Fitness as,
“…state of physiologic well being that is achieved through a combination of good diet, regular physical exercise, and other practices that promotes good health”.
Maintaining one’s health and being physically fit helps in fighting innumerable diseases including that of obesity, cardiac problems, diabetics, high blood pressure etc and keep you hale and healthy to a great extent.However, most people start their fitness regime with all the enthusiasm in the world and after a couple of months or even earlier on, they loose their interest on it and find excuses for not getting into a regular physical exercise program. It is not so difficult to maintain one’s well being and there are easier ways to do so too.
Stressed and unfit, with no time for gym?
Just read the following:
Modification in your lifestyle:
- Never skip your breakfast
- Stop eating junk food and drinking carbonated drinks
- Drink a lot of water
- Stop smoking, period!
- Variety in food is a must
- Add fruits and milk and subtract coffee and tea from your diet.
Exercise: Exercise is a must if you want to be physically fit. All you need to do is to exercise at least five days a week.
Exercise can even be done in short spells. You may do exercise for ten minutes each throughout your day. Want to know how?
Play with your children, do skipping, dance along with a dance program in your TV, use stairs instead of lift at work, take a short but brisk walk, reduce the use of car for the short distances, walk the dog, clean the floors, gardening etc.
Means of Exercise:
a. Daily walks in the park, in and around your society or you feel comfortable with.
b. Yoga: Depending upon your age, 15 minutes to 1 hour shall do.
c. Pranayam: (breathing exercise) also depending upon your age, 15 minutes to 1 hour.
d. Other activities: walking, jogging, swimming, biking etc.
e. Aerobics: Low intensity and vigorous aerobics exercises, depending upon the physical ailments, age and on the advice of the doctors.
f. Strength Training Exercises: Can be done at least twice a week
5. Play Sports: Get into playing regular games: Playing games like basket ball, base ball, cricket, foot ball, tennis, olley ball etc. is an enjoyable form of exercise.
6. Practice Martial Arts: Depending on your interest, you may even learn and practice Karate, Tai chi, Tae Kwon Do etc.
7. Location of your home and the Country: Depending upon the location of your home, you may even indulge in adventure sports like hiking, ice skating, skiing, back packing, trekking etc.
8. A Word Of Caution: Always consult your doctor before you start any strenuous exercise program. Your doctor shall be able to help you in chalking out your fitness regime
9. Stay-at-home fitness: Take stairs instead of lift, use chair as support for leg lifts, lift water bottle to tone arms muscles. You can use your towel as a resistance band.
Q Can I combine more than one exercise at one point of time?
As I am not aware of your age, body composition and health condition, your doctor shall be the best advisor on this. Always take the advice of your doctor before you start your fitness regime.
Q I am not very slim, still lazy to do everyday workouts. What can I do to improve myself ? Some practical and easy to follow guidelines which can help me without effecting much of my daily routine.
To begin with, be happy with your body. Don’t slouch. Do light, but regular exercise. Never go for crash diet or skip meals or completely avoid anything. Eat everything in moderation, even chocolates. Eat small meals at frequent intervals. Drinking alcohol and smoking is harmful, so avoid. Drinking warm water after every meal is also helpful.
Q What is the most effective way of monitoring my diet?
Understand that your diet should be dependent on all aspects of your lifestyle- age, height, weight, medical history,nature of work,etc. The most effective way of monitoring your diet is maintaining a diary, where you write the quantity and time of consumption. Be honest to yourself when you maintain this diary.
Don’t lie down, sit; don’t sit, stand and don’t stand, walk. Finally, don’t walk, run! Just be active whenever you can and wherever you can. Idle body and idle mind is not a fertile ground for hale and healthiness. Be Active !